solution - trouble accessing internet resources

jv2351it jv2351it at hotpop.com
Tue Sep 13 11:06:54 UTC 2005

Silly me. I had a mistake in my firewall script. I have a list of bad
IPs from which iptables rules are made. I had an IP with the incorrect
CIDR notation, which thus banned everything from 207.x.x.x. Oops....

My Redhat AS 3.0 Kernel 2.4.21-32.0.1 System has a problem. Most
websites I can access just fine, ex http://www.ibm.com
but others I cannot
ex: http://www3.software.ibm.com or http://www.mozilla.org

Further, wget "http://www.mozilla.org/index.html" will eventually get
the file, but it takes ages.

This system has 2 NICs, one to the cable modem and the other to the
internal network.

Other PCs on the network (Windows) can access all sites no problem.

Started ethereal. Start mozilla, http://www3.software.ibm.com

Only traffic I see is:
tons of arpanet traffic,
lots of traffic from and to 127.0.0.1, may be related to CUPS,
DNS packets to get the IP, which returns the correct IP,
DNS packets to get the IP of www.rhns.redhat.com
https communication, looks like to Redhat,

but no packets to http://www3.software.ibm.com

If I go to a working URL through a different Mozilla session, I see the
TCP and HTTP packets.