Fedora Core 4, new kernel endeavor. Bug? How to work around?

Barry L. Bond bbond at cfl.rr.com
Sun Sep 18 21:09:42 UTC 2005

Hi Greg!

     Thank you very much for your help!

>mkay, is that scsi driver compiled as a module, or is it compiled into
>the kernel? you're not clear on that one. make sure you have ext3
>support compiled also. i would also try and pass root=/dev/sda [or
>whatever your drive reports as] to the kernel.

     For my new (2.6.13) kernel, the aic7xxx SCSI driver is compiled into
the kernel.  (The make xconfig has a check mark in the box, instead of a
"dot".)  (The kernel FC4 kernel I'm running has it compiled as a module.)

     Also, my new (2.6.13) kernel has ext3 and related items also compiled
into the kernel.  (Since I formatted my file systems to be ext3, and knew
I'd need it, I wanted it directly in the kernel.)

     Right now, I have "kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.13 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet"
being passed to the kernel, which actually is identical to the kernel
being passed with the FC4 kernel.

     ARGH!

     :-)

     Well, Greg, I was intending to answer your third question with what I
did, Friday night/Saturday morning...

     I did place "root=/dev/sda2" (the partition of my root filesystem) in
there, and it still failed.  So, I went back to grub.conf and INTENDED to
place it back to the way it was, which had "root=LABEL=/1" in the line.

     As I looked at my grub.conf, to recall what I did, to answer you, I
saw the following in grub.conf:  "root=/1"!

     I thought...  "Oh, it couldn't be..."  I made it "root=LABEL=/1" and
just now shut down to boot the Linux, and tried my test kernel.

     I am, at this moment, running on the test kernel!

     Looking at dmesg, I'm running kernel 2.6.13, not 2.6.11, it's the one
I had been trying to get working!  :-)

     I am frustrated at making the silly mistake.  I know I was tired...

     So, I'll report:  I'll watch things over the next couple of weeks,
and see whether I see anything that I determine is a possible kernel
problem.  But, at the moment, I AM RUNNING MY NEW KERNEL!  :-)

     Thank you, Greg!  You didn't exactly know and tell me what the
problem was, but as I was looking at my grub.conf file to properly reply
to you, I saw the mistake.

>as a sidenote, grub introduces major imporvements to the whole
>bootloader realm, just the shell alone is worth a look.

     That's my impression!  In my reading about it, I think it is quite
good.  I haven't actually tested and looked at this stuff, yet, but I
will, when I get a chance!

     Thank you again!

     Barry

--
Barry L. Bond                     | http://home.cfl.rr.com/os9barry/
Software Engineer, ITT Industries | (My personal home web page, last

bbond at cfl.rr.com <- personal      |  Re-Vita Products:
Barry.Bond at ITT.com <- Work ONLY   |  http://www.re-vita.net/barrybond
                                  |  Re-Vita Distributor Information
Home office:  407-382-2815        |  http://www.re-vita.net/barrybond-2
Work:         321-494-5627        |  Toll free order:  1-888-820-5531