Time and zone setting in RHEL3

Jeff jsmforum at optonline.net
Wed Sep 21 15:13:16 UTC 2005

Ok, I know this should be dead simple  but I just can't get the darn
timezone and time correct on a new RHEL3 server i've just installed.

I want it set for timezone GMT and the current GMT time.

I can set the time no problem and i've manually edited the
/etc/sysconfig/clock to have

ZONE="GMT"
UTC=true
ARC=false

I want both the system clock and hwclock to use UTC (or GMT) as the
zone.

using redhat-config-time doesn't give me an option for GMT or UTC.

This is driving me nuts!

so I moved /etc/localtime to /etc/localtime~
then set up a softlink to

ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT /etc/localtime

then rebooted and everything once again appears correct in the world
again. The question now is, is this the correct way to fix the problem?
Will this create any more problems?
why isn't there a tool that will do this? I mean what's the point of
redhat-config-date if it doesn't allow you to set things the way you
want?  GMT isn't even an available timezone in that tool.

does /etc/sysconfig/clock do anything anymore?

Thanks,

Jeff