ssh alternatives

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 15:44:12 UTC 2005

On 21/09/05, Greg Golin <greg.golin at gmail.com> wrote:
> So here's the deal. I know most of sshd brute force attempts shall be
> thwarted by running the daemon on a different port. However, many
> existing scripts -- too many to change all of them -- rely on default
> ssh configuration. At the same time, my devs require constant remote
> access to the servers.

You can modify /etc/ssh/ssh_config for system wide client
configuration or setup $HOME/.ssh/config to use the non-standard ports
for users that use ssh in scripts rather than changing the scripts
themselves? "man 5 ssh_config"

Host server1 server2 server3
   Port 3456

Then all ssh client applications for that user will automatically use
the correct port for those servers. If your developers are using ssh
off home linux boxes they can setup similar configs, if they're using
Putty of something you can just change it in the host configuration
dialog thingy.

Will.