How to change from one partion to another?

Gavin McDonald gavitron at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 17:13:04 UTC 2005

> understood that each logical partion in linux , is simlar to C: D: (or) E:
> drives in windows,
>  I am I correct? If so how to switch between these linux pations?

You are correct in making the comparison, but wrong in thinking you have to
switch between them.

The short answer is that the linux filesystem is independent of hardware.
You start with /  and "bolt-on" partitions where you want them.  (via the
'mount' command.)  However you can still reference the partitions directly
via the device (/dev/) filesystem, also you need a partition to hold the
root (/) filesystem.

For more details, you will have to read the manuals that everyone else will
point you to. :)

Regards,

Gavin McDonald
EVI Logistic Enterprises