Installing mplayer on RHEL WS 4

Ian Waring ian.waring at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 20:37:08 UTC 2005

Thanks to Chockalingam and Mark,

mplayer had a pile of dependencies, one of which wasn't available on RHEL WS
4. Yum itself also had a pile of dependencies, so I ended up installing
apt-get then loading ogle (which left a blank screen) and xine (which worked
fine).

We ran an "Open Source for Developers" event today at IBM in London (with
Red Hat, MySQL, JBoss, IBM Rational,
thedeveloperscatalogue.com<http://thedeveloperscatalogue.com>,
O'Reilly, International Developer Magazine, Jaycore and more) and spent two
hours trying to get the projection equipment working using my Thinkpad.
Talking to Jono Bacon during one break, he tells me that Ubuntu is getting
pretty slick at getting all the "boring" features of most laptops working
with no user intervention (they tend to buy examples of commonly purchased
PCs and set up single CD distributions that configure all the common
options). He also said that it also sets up totem nicely. I do know that HP
have started selling a Ubuntu based laptop now - as Ubuntu did all the
configuration work for free.

The Video worked okay on Windows but was CPU challenged (at lower
resolution) on Red Hat... so some tuning work required on my part. Time
wasn't on my side today.

I wish Red Hat (or the community around it) had done likewise. I feel
another project coming on!

With Best Wishes,

Ian W.
--