How to easily parse syslog files

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Apr 13 21:40:29 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 02:18:54PM -0400, Bliss, Aaron wrote:
> Hi everyone; Does anyone know of any tools that are designed to easily
> parse and report against syslog formatted windows event logs?  The
> administrator before me implemented a centralized logging solution in
> which all member servers log to a centralized syslog server (redhat 3 es
> server); It's easy enough to use logwatch to monitor the linux servers'
> logs (again, these are all redhat servers), however I'm have not found
> any products (open source or other wise) that can report against the
> windows logs.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Have you checked out splunk?  http://www.splunk.com/
http://www.splunk.com/index.php/articles/pictures/235#windows

Also check out Snare for Windows -
http://www.intersectalliance.com/projects/SnareWindows/

Snare is GPL and will send the Windows event log info to a syslog
server.  I haven't used it, but would like to...

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA