dump/restore and SElinux security context problem

Kayvan A. Sylvan kayvan at sylvan.com
Sat Apr 22 08:12:30 UTC 2006

I used "dump" to create a snapshot of a filesystem, then, using
the Fedora Core disc 1 in rescue mode, used "restore" to retrieve
it.

However, for every file, I get messages like this:

    restore: lsetxattr ./System.map-2.6.15-1.1833_FC4 failed: Invalid argument

This feels like it's related to SELinux. In fact, looking at
the restored files with "ls -Z", I see that they are all unlabeled.

If I don't use the rescue CD, and instead, on a running system where SELinux
is enabled, do the following:

1) setenforce 0
2) restore from the dump.
3) setenforce 1

Afterwards, the files restored are in their original security context.

How do I get this same result (files completely restored, along with
their extended attributes) while using the rescue CD?

Thanks for any answers.
--
Kayvan A. Sylvan          | Proud husband of       | Father to my kids:
Sylvan Associates, Inc.   | Laura Isabella Sylvan, | Katherine Yelena (8/8/89)