install_initd in RHAS 4 does not honor dependency information

Siddegowda, Kishore (STSD) kishore.siddegowda at hp.com
Sat Apr 29 11:12:53 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I am having trouble getting the correct order enforced on two init.d
scripts that i want to run during start up. I run 'install_initd' on
these scripts to generate the rc links in the repsective runlevel
directories.

To give an example, consider the two scripts (test1 and 'atest2') below
-

$ cat /etc/init.d/test1
#! /bin/sh

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: test1
# Required-Start: $network $syslog $remote_fs
# Required-Stop: $network
# Default-Start: 2 3 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
### END INIT INFO
$ cat /etc/init.d/atest2
#!/bin/sh

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: atest2
# Required-Start: test1 $network
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start: 2 3 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
### END INIT INFO

I have intentionally named the second file 'atest2' so that it is
lexicographically lesser than 'test1'. Note that 'atest2' specifies
'test1' as a dependent service in 'Required-Start'. Even then , the rc
links created are as follows -

S99atest2
S99test1

It should have actually been -

S99test1
S99atest2

Is redhat taking ascii ordering into consideration while creating the rc
links ?? .. I've verified that the same wrong order (atest2 , then
atest1) is used while booting (by checking boot.log) It should have been
(test1, atest2) according to the LSB specification.

Any ideas if this is a bug in RHAS ?

Regards,
Kishore