useradd: Unknown group

unix syzadmin unixsyzadmin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 11:10:28 UTC 2006

pncerts group exists.

bngddem3:~ # tail -f /etc/group
haclient:!:90:
radiusd:!:101:
quagga:!:102:
vscan:!:103:
nobody:x:65533:
nogroup:x:65534:nobody
users:x:100:jsingh,pmirji,vijay,venkat,pmallick,grajashe,sgummara
dump:!:104:
dba::1000:oracle
pncerts:!:1001:

I am able to create a user (though it throws some errors) with the following
command (without -g pncerts option).

bngddem3:~ # useradd -m -d /home/rrao -s /bin/bash rrao
useradd: Unknown group `dialout'.
useradd: Unknown group `uucp'.
useradd: Unknown group `video'.
useradd: Unknown group `audio'.

However while changing the password I get the following error message:

bngddem3:~ # passwd rrao
Changing password for rrao.
passwd: User not known to the underlying authentication module
bngddem3:~ #

I could get the following from the logs

Apr 7 20:33:30 bngddem3 useradd: new user: name=rrao, uid=1011, gid=100,
home=/home/rrao, shell=/bin/bash
Apr 7 20:36:04 bngddem3 passwd[31183]: User root: User not known to the
underlying authentication module

Also the contents of /etc/default/useradd is

bngddem3:~ # more /etc/default/useradd
GROUP=100
HOME=/home
INACTIVE=-1