[Q] can NOT umount file system ????

oliver.fenker at bayerbbs.com oliver.fenker at bayerbbs.com
Tue Apr 4 07:37:09 UTC 2006

> On 4/3/06, mcclnx mcc <mcclnx at yahoo.com.tw> wrote:
> >
> > We have  Redhat AS 3.4 on DELL server.  One of file
> > system mount from  SAN can NOT "umount" even NO
> > process relate to it.  Can anyone tell me how to
> > umount it  without reboot.
>

> Did you try a forced umount   with the -f option
>
> Thanks.
> >

> > # umount /u5
> > umount: /u5: device is busy
> > # fuser /u5
> > /u5:
> > No process references; use -v for the complete list
> > # lsof /u5
> > # fuser -km /u5
> > # umount /u5
> > umount: /u5: device is busy

Hello,

I wouldn't recommend to use a force option. -f is as far as I know only for NFS
mounted filesystems and -l (for lazy unmount) may result in a corrupted
filesystem.  Have you tried lsof (e.g. "lsof | grep u5") to find out who is
using this filesystem?

With regards,
Oliver
Bayer Business Services GmbH