kswapd running at 100% - Slowing down Machine

Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com
Tue Apr 4 07:54:06 UTC 2006

We currently have a problem with one of our production Redhat machines
running kernel 2.4.21-20.ELsmp. It is running really slow and i have
noticed when doing a top the kswapd process is running at 100%. I have been
running this machine now for over a year with no problems so i am not sure
why we suddenly have this issue. I have read on the net that there are some
bug fixes which address this issue but unfortunately we need to run at this
version for software compatibility on the server. Is there a way of
resolving this issue without upgrading the kernel?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Andrew Bridgeman
This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Plc nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.