sudo Configuration

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Thu Apr 13 11:51:27 UTC 2006

Or...using "sudo -l", one can get a full list of the commands to which
they have sudo access, including the full paths to those commands, if the
sysadmin has put the full path into the sudoers file...which is a better
practice.

This way, in order to get around the whole "missing this directory from my
search path" thing, all one needs to do is issue

"sudo /full/path/to/command"

to run the command.

This also gives the added benefit of not having a user be able to create a
script with the same name, in some other place, and then use sudo to run
that, potentially compromising your system.

On Wed, April 12, 2006 5:21 pm, Wayne Pinette wrote:
> You could do what I do (cause this drives me nuts) and edit profile (in
> the etc directory) to just allow
> everyone to use the sbin directories (just get rid of the if statement
> around that pathmunge call).
>

> Wayner

> I am attempting to configure sudo on a RH AS v3 r4 server. The version
> of sudo installed is 1.6.7p5. I would like to pass the $PATH
> environment
> of root to the sudoer when they run a sudo command. If User A runs
> sudo
> ifconfig, usera receives an error saying that ifconfig cannot be
> found.
> I know that this is due to the fact that the /sbin path is not in the
> user A's profile. Is it possible to pass the .profile info from root
> user A so this command can run successfully?
>

> Thanks in Advance,
>

> Andrew

> This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and
> may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.
>
> If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
> that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited.
>
> If you have received this communication in error, please erase
> all copies of the message and its attachments and notify us
> immediately.
>
> Thank you.

Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit