SElinux boot error with new kernel and RHAS V4 U3

Ken Kleiner ken at cs.uml.edu
Thu Apr 13 14:19:41 UTC 2006

Hello....

I am running RH Enterprise Advanced Server V4 Update 3 with the RHN
kernel of 2.6.9-34.EL, with SELINUX enabled with enforcing enabled.

I compiled and installed the 2.6.16.4 kernel from kernel.org, but a boot
with that yields:
Enforcing mode requested but no policy loaded.  Halting now.
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init?

If I add 'enforcing=0' to the boot string in grub and boot 2.6.16.4,
things work
fine, I believe because I told it to not enforce selinux.  With that
scenario:
-----
[root at iscsi-vm ~]# sestatus
SELinux status:         disabled
[root at iscsi-vm ~]# getenforce
Disabled
-----

I would like to keep SElinux enabled and enforcing with the new
kernel - can
somebody provide insight as to why this is happening and what to do
about it?

Thanks..

Ken Kleiner
System Manager