slocate doesn't

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Apr 14 16:06:48 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 09:27:14AM -0400, Michael Johnson wrote:
> Hi gang
>
> I've discovered one of my RHEL AS3 machines doesn't locate at all.
> Whenever I run locate, it doesn't return anything regardless of what
> I search for.
>
> I ran slocate -u to try and rebuild the slocate.db file.  It took
> quite a while but it finished.  The locate still didn't happen.  I
> even tried to specify the slocate.db in the arguments with -d and it
> still returned nothing even though the slocate.db file is quite large.
>
> What am I missing here?

IMHO, Red Hat got this wrong...  Have a look at the cron job that's
supposed to generate the catalog and you'll see how they screwed it up.
By default, it's turned OFF (although in earlier releases it was turned
on).

Edit /etc/updatedb.conf and set DAILY_UPDATE to yes.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA