slocate doesn't

Michael Johnson mjohnson at coderyte.com
Fri Apr 14 18:58:58 UTC 2006

On Apr 14, 2006, at 2:47 PM, inode0 wrote:

> On 4/14/06, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> This can't be serious!
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/updatedb -f "nfs,smbfs,ncpfs,proc,devpts" -e "/"
>>>
>>> So basically, run it except for every file system you're going to
>>> ever attach to it (okay so I can understand that a little) and
>>> exclude the root directory.  So basically, it's going to do nothing.
>>
>> No, so basically it will store meaningful information about the local
>> filesystem.
>
> Oh my. Where did that come from? It should exclude network filesystems
> and things like proc but not /.

I think that's the bonehead thing Ed was talking about.  So if it
runs every day with the default configuration, it will do absolutely
nothing since the -e is on the root.

Nevertheless, it's not working for me.  I'm running updatedb again
with the -v flag this time to make sure I see what's happening.

-Michael

|   Michael Johnson          |   Sr. Systems Engineer     |
|   mjohnson at coderyte.com    |   CodeRyte                 |
|   +1-301-951-5315          |   http://www.coderyte.com/ |