slocate doesn't

Michael Johnson mjohnson at coderyte.com
Sat Apr 15 16:45:29 UTC 2006

On Apr 15, 2006, at 12:36 PM, inode0 wrote:

> On 4/15/06, Michael Johnson <mjohnson at coderyte.com> wrote:
>> That being said, are there any other ideas why slocate doesn't do
>> anything for me?  I've done the updatedb a few times and I still get
>> nothing on the output of the locate command.
>
> Post the contents of /etc/cron.daily/slocate.cron and
> /etc/updatedb.conf please. I'm guessing from your earlier post that
> slocate.cron is fouled up.

Even so, manually running updatedb should give me some sort of output
when I run locate filename.

[mjohnson at vader ~]$ cat /etc/cron.daily/slocate.cron
#!/bin/sh
renice +19 -p $$ >/dev/null 2>&1
#/usr/bin/updatedb -f "nfs,smbfs,ncpfs,proc,devpts" -e "/"
/usr/bin/updatedb -f "proc,devpts"
[mjohnson at vader ~]$ cat /etc/updatedb.conf
DAILY_UPDATE="yes"
PRUNEFS="devpts NFS nfs afs sfs proc smbfs autofs auto iso9660"
PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /usr/tmp /var/tmp /afs /net /sfs"
export PRUNEFS
export PRUNEPATHS

-Michael

|   Michael Johnson          |   Sr. Systems Engineer     |
|   mjohnson at coderyte.com    |   CodeRyte                 |
|   +1-301-951-5315          |   http://www.coderyte.com/ |