Howto selectively choose which rpm deps to override?

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Sat Apr 15 18:29:09 UTC 2006

Scenario:

I want to install a new-package.rpm package that depends on the postgresql
database rev X.  However, I've built postgresql rev X from source and
installed it using 'make install'.

What do I do?

Can I somehow tell the 'rpm -Uhv new-package.rpm' command to selectively
"overlook" the postgresql dependency, but no other dependencies?

Or must I run a normal command, resolve all the other dependencies first,
and then run something like a '--force' (or whatever the rpm
override-dependency command is) to effectively override just the postgres dep?

-Matt