Howto selectively choose which rpm deps to override?

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Sat Apr 15 22:37:10 UTC 2006

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 01:29:09PM -0500, Matt England wrote:
> Scenario:
>
> I want to install a new-package.rpm package that depends on the postgresql
> database rev X.  However, I've built postgresql rev X from source and
> installed it using 'make install'.
>
> What do I do?

You don't do what you did.  You should have built an rpm for postgresql
rev X and installed it.  The new-package should have listed this as
dependency.

> Can I somehow tell the 'rpm -Uhv new-package.rpm' command to selectively
> "overlook" the postgresql dependency, but no other dependencies?

No.

> Or must I run a normal command, resolve all the other dependencies first,
> and then run something like a '--force' (or whatever the rpm
> override-dependency command is) to effectively override just the postgres
> dep?

This is just plain bad.  rpm is there for a good reason and mixing rpm
and non-rpm packages is asking for a mess.  Don't cheat the system and
don't ask people to install with a --force (way, way too many people
have shot themselves in the foot using --force).

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA