fsck failure at boot

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at cc.kuleuven.be
Fri Apr 21 22:32:10 UTC 2006

Well, the relevance of SANsurfer would depend on what the problem is.
When groping in the dark, it'd be one of the places I'd look for
indications.  But upon re-reading your initial post, I agree that
chances are slim that the HBA is the root cause of your problem.

You mentioned RHAS4.  Are you using a standard Red Hat kernel, or did
you built your own?  (Reason I ask is that I want to exclude an initial
ram disk that doesn't know about your QLogic HBA.)

I'm a bit confused by the "*** An error occurred during the file system
check" error message you mentioned in your first mail.  I expect that to
be generated by /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, not by fsck.ext3.  (Might be a
cut-n-paste to the wrong portion of the mail body?)  Note that there are
two locations in that script that can generate that error: once while
the root filesystem is mounted read-only, and again after lvm2
initialization.

The complaint about the superblock problem can be ignored, in as far as
the superblock must be correct - as is evident from the fact that you
can mount the partition just fine when the system is fully booted.
(Assuming that /dev/sdl1 doesn exist, a "fsck.ext3 -a /dev/sdl1" will
generate the same error.)
But combined with the error "fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while
trying to open /dev/sdb1", it looks like the device special filename
/dev/sdb1 hasn't been created yet at the time you're trying to use it.

Do dmesg or /var/log/messages contain additional information?

Is this a system you can take down for testing?  If so, could you
- edit rc.sysinit to slightly change one of the two "*** An error
occurred during the file system check" error messages, to determine
which of the two locations actually causes the error?
- reboot again, and when you're dropped to the shell,
   - manually check whether the device special file
     /dev/sdb1 exists or not
   - manually execute the checks in rc.sysinit prior
     to the error message to determine which one fails

Kind regards,

Herta