Updates

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Apr 25 10:51:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Cameron Simpson wrote:

> On 24Apr2006 17:36, bearwoods at adelphia.net <bearwoods at adelphia.net> wrote:
> | I am the admin on a closed system where I teach.  How can I update AS ver 4 if I can't get to the net?  Any help will be appriciated.
>
> One approach, if you have access to another AS4 system, is to download
> the updates to the other server (run "up2date -d") and copy those files
> (you will need to burn them to a CDROM or something of course). They
> are stored in /var/spool/up2date. Then you can install with "rpm -Fvh
> *.rpm".

Or you could use and internal repository of updates and extra packages
using Yam. Yam allows to download RHN packages and keep repositoritories
in sync with upstream. For more information about Yam, see:

	http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/yam/

I'm looking for more feedback from users, both about the
installation/configuration as well as difficulties using it.

PS However I do not advise to enable extra repositories in production
as-is, but if you need special packages that do not come from your vendor
the sensible thing to do is make your own repository and move these
packages there. That way you have better control over what is
additionally installed on your systems (on which you have no support) and
you can more easily test those packages before upgrading them on
production machines.

It's not because it's easy to upgrade stuff, that it is wise to do so :)

Kind regards,