Clone ES4 machine

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Apr 25 12:27:52 UTC 2006

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, j_70 at comcast.net wrote:

> I am looking to 'clone' one of our ES4 production machines to make an
> exact copy as a development box. Does linux have a built in method for
> this or can someone point me in the right direction for a method for
> this. TIA.

Rsync is a simple way to copy a complete system. The procedure goes
something like this:

  + Boot a rescue image that contains a recent rsync binary
  + Partition your disk(s)
  + Create the filesystems and mount them in a directory structure that
    has sufficient filesystem space (or optionally mimics the original
    system)
  + Rsync the original system onto your new filesystem structure

The tools you would use are resp. fdisk, mkfs (or mfks.ext3), mount, mkdir
and rsync.

Kind regards,