Unable to connect as root through telnet on RHEL 4 AS U3

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Thu Apr 27 09:42:27 UTC 2006

El Jueves 27 Abril 2006 11:36, raghu raman escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> Even after commenting the line
> #auth       required    pam_securetty.so in
> /etc/pam.d/login unable to connect as root through
> telnet.
> Please let me know what else needs to be done to
> enable root access through telnet.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Raghu.

Linux is configured to run the Telnet , but by default, these services are not
enabled. To enable the telnet these service, login to the server as the root
userid and edit the files:

 /etc/xinetd.d/telnet

In this file, find the line for disable and change it from the value "yes" to
"no".

After changing the above value(s), you will need to restart the xinetd deamon.
As the root userid, type the following command:

/etc/init.d/xinetd reload

Now before getting into the details of how to configure Red Hat Linux for root
logins, keep in mind that this is VERY BAD security. Make sure that you NEVER
configure your production servers for this type of login.

 Simply edit the file /etc/securetty and add the following to the end of the
file:

pts/0
pts/1
pts/2
pts/3
pts/4
pts/5
pts/6
pts/7
pts/8
pts/9

This will allow up to 10 telnet sessions to the server as root.

Cheers.

Manuel.