script to turn off services

Josh Miller joshua at itsecureadmin.com
Wed Aug 16 17:00:35 UTC 2006

The service command only fails if the service you are testing is not
there -- which means whenever you use service on an installed service
(active or not) it should return 0.  I think you should look for another
way of determining whether or not the service is running, like checking
for a file located in /var/lock/subsys, or checking for a process with ps.

- Josh