Kernel panic

JIANWEI ZHUANG jianwei.z at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 14:35:52 UTC 2006

Hi Suddavanda,

I actually reinstalled the Linux on the same partition without reformating
it.

The machine in trouble was my laptop.  It has 3 partitions on it, 1 root, 1
boot, and 1 swap.  After Linux Rescue and fsck, all folders and files were
being moved around and put into 1 single folder, lost+found.  So there was
only 1 folder under root partition after fsck.

I don't know how you guys use Knoppix but for me, it is just too slow.  I
used ftp in DamnSmallLinux(DSL) to back up all data in lost+found.

Then I reinstalled Linux 7.2 with new installation option and install
without formatting option.  It turned out all data in root partition were
preserved.

During the installation, the partition table was not being recognized.  I
just printed the table and wrote it back, and it worked.

That was it for my story.  Let me know if you want more details.

JW