install from usb key? (Slightly OT)

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Thu Aug 24 15:45:15 UTC 2006

I have a smaller version of this working now.  I have a 64 MB usb key
that contains a linux boot disk.  The kickstart configuration file on it
is set up to automatically begin an automated NFS installation.  I
suppose you can set it up to use different kickstart files to install
different images...Its all in the config file on the boot image.  Here's
the steps I used:

a.	Format the USB stick as one big FAT partition: "mkdosfs
/dev/sdb1"
b.	Copy everything from the CD's isolinux dir to the memory stick.
You can omit isolinux.bin, boot.cat, and TRANS.TBL
c.	Rename isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg
d.	Copy the initrd.img from /images/pxeboot to the memory stick.
(At present I believe the two initrd.img's are the same)
e.	Modify syslinux.cfg
f.	Make the memory stick bootable: "syslinux /dev/sdb1".  Remember
to unmount the memory stick prior to performing this.
g.	Boot from stick

The syslinux.cfg file is what you want to take a look at.  Set up your
parameters for booting there and you should be all set.