directory permissions of .ssh directory and files

James Marcinek jmarc1 at jemconsult.biz
Tue Aug 1 12:58:51 UTC 2006

Can someone tell me what permissions need to be in place for the
$HOME/.ssh folder and files. I thought I had locked them down. Then when
I couldn't login via the public keys I transfered (to one server worked,
the other didn't). I had set the .ssh folder to 700 and the .pub files
to 600. This was causing problems and I looked at the docs and they
indicated something more lax. My logwatch says the perms were not set
correctly.

Thanks,

James