directory permissions of .ssh directory and files

Can someone tell me what permissions need to be in place for the $HOME/.ssh folder and files. I thought I had locked them down. Then when I couldn't login via the public keys I transfered (to one server worked, the other didn't). I had set the .ssh folder to 700 and the .pub files to 600. This was causing problems and I looked at the docs and they indicated something more lax. My logwatch says the perms were not set correctly.

Thanks,

James