how to boot from second disk

David Miller millerdc at fusion.gat.com
Tue Aug 1 17:55:49 UTC 2006

What you are doing is not possible with that method. Besides using
some true bare-metal bit-by-bit cloning tool you will have to do a
lot more work for recovery. You will have to use fdisk to setup the
partitions, dump a working MBR on the drive, create the filesystems
on the parttions using mke2fs and mkswap. Then you can restore your
data on the partitions. Your best bet is to try and get a working
RAID1 for your boot drive and prey that both disks don't die before
the server is retired.