rysnc /etc/passwd files

James Marcinek jmarc1 at jemconsult.biz
Thu Aug 3 13:41:47 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I am trying to write a script that will copy the needed security files
from one system to another. The reason is to facilitate clustering,
though I could see it being used to centralize accounts and with NFS
$HOME directories it could work...

Granted that one allows root to do this, which I intend not to...

I want to make sure that I get all of the necessary files:

/etc/passwd
/etc/group
/etc/shadow
/etc/gshadow

Am I missing any? I also understand that it is possible to use other
authentication config's. I would also be interested in knowing of any
differences and if there's any easy way to determine which is
implemented, if so.

Thanks,

James