Re: xscreensaver problems with new system-auth

Josh Miller wrote:
How about backing out all changes except one, and then implementing them one by one until it fails again? That is probably the easiest way to tell which change kills it.

- Josh

Bill Tangren wrote:
I have noticed that xscreensaver no longer accepts my password when I try to log in (to GNOME). The log error message I get is:

Aug 3 16:06:17 mach2 xscreensaver[3731]: FAILED LOGIN 1 ON DISPLAY ":0.0", FOR "bjt"

# This is what I have in system-auth:

The problem seems to be with the pam_tally lines

auth required /lib/security/$ISA/pam_tally.so onerr=fail no_magic_root account required /lib/security/$ISA/pam_tally.so deny=3

I don't understand why this is a problem. Links such as this one:

http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_44_4047.shtm

indicate that it should work just fine, but I have yet to find a link that indicates why this doesn't work with xscreensaver.

Has anyone else ever run into problems like this?

Bill