I want increase the space of home folder - plz help me regarding this

Arun Williams perks_williams at yahoo.co.in
Wed Aug 9 10:28:23 UTC 2006

  There are two ways. Either you can make a new partition in your new hard disk and change your home partition or you can create a LVM for home directory.

  1>
  Enter single-user mode.
  # init 1

  Create a new partition in your new disk to be used as new home partition (let the partition be /dev/hdc1). Make file system in that partition

#mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hdc1

  Make a temp directory.
  #mkdir /mnt/temp

  Mount your new partition to temp directory
  #mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/temp/

  Copy home directory contents to new partition
  #cp -a /home/*  /mnt/temp

  After copying umount both hdc1 and home directory.
  #umount /home
  #umount /mnt/temp

  Change your fstab entry

#

# File: /etc/fstab

#

 #/dev/hdb2 /home ext3  defaults 1 2

 /dev/hdc1 /home  ext3  defaults 1 2

Execute

#mount –a

#init 5.

 Disadvantage of this method is your previous home partition will be unused.(But you can used it for some other purpose)
  2>
  Enter single-user mode.
  # init 1

  Backup your home directory.
  #mkdir /backup
  #cp –a /home /backup

  Unmount your home partition.
  #umount /home

  Using fdisk set your /dev/hdb2 partition type to 8e.

  Make a partition in your new disk as per your need (let it be /dev/hdc1). Using fdisk set /dev/hdc1 partition type to 8e.

  Define Each Physical Volume

# pvcreate /dev/hdb2

pvcreate -- physical volume "/dev/hdb2" successfully created

# pvcreate /dev/hdc1

pvcreate -- physical volume "/dev/hdc1" successfully created

  Run Vgscan

# vgscan

vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)

#

Create A Volume Group For the PVs

# vgcreate lvm1 /dev/hdc1 /dev/hdb2

Volume group "lvm1" successfully created

Create A Logical Volume From The Volume Group

# vgdisplay lvm1

--- Volume group ---

VG Name               lvm1

VG Access             read/write

VG Status             available/resizable

VG #                  0

MAX LV                256

Cur LV                0

Open LV               0

MAX LV Size           255.99 GB

Max PV                256

Cur PV                2

Act PV                2

VG Size               848 MB

PE Size               4 MB

Total PE              212

Alloc PE / Size       0 / 0

Free  PE / Size       212 / 848 MB

VG UUID               W7bgLB-lAFW-wtKi-wZET-jDJF-8VYD-snUaSZ

Using lvcreate create logical volume

# lvcreate -l 212 lvm1 -n lv0

Format The Logical Volume

# mkfs -t ext3 /dev/lvm1/lv0

Mount your new logical volume to /home directory

# mount /dev/lvm1/lv0 /home

Copy back your data from /backup.

#cp –a /backup /home.

Update fstab.

#

# File: /etc/fstab

#

#/dev/hdb2 /home ext3  defaults 1 2

/dev/lvm1/lv0  /home  ext3  defaults 1 2

Execute

#mount –a

#init 5

Anil Sawale <asawale at cautel.com> wrote:
  Hi!

I installed RedHat 9.0

I want to increase the HDD space for /home

we have only three partions as below
we want to increase the partition space of /dev/hdb2

How I can increase space, I have another HDD 10.2 GB

Anil Sawale
Sys Admin
Cautel Web Sol
Navi Mumbai

Disk /dev/hdb: 10.2 GB, 10204766208 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1240 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/hdb2 14 1173 9317700 83 Linux
/dev/hdb3 1174 1206 265072+ 82 Linux swap