Re: boot Kernel Parameter “acpi=off noapic” through GRUB

Arun Williams perks_williams at yahoo.co.in
Fri Aug 11 04:16:37 UTC 2006

I got it.....

  In some cases, with linux machines when you issue a shutdown command which happens to be the init 0 command; the machine doesn't actually power down as in the case of windows.

Under this circumstance what we usually do is disable the power control options in your BIOS ( ACPI options I belive ) also as an alternative or a way to do it linux style is to give the above kernel parameter which says the kernel/system not to consider the power settings in the BIOS.

These happens only with the ATX form factor as per my knowledge.

And these ACPI options are mainly for the laptops and for Energy compatibility so there not much importance for the same for a server. It do affect the sound setting of some machine but this is not required for a linux server :-)

Hope I too make some points clear.

This is what you said Shankar Jha

wrote:

>> Ya I know that.. But
>>
>> Please let me know if this is an expected behavior.
>>
>> Shankar Jha wrote:
>> Hi I have a solution.
>> In BIOS enable the acpi support.
>> By default it will disable.
>> It will work fine.
>> Shankar RHCE
>>

>> On 8/10/06, Shankar Jha wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> > I have the same problem.I did lot but no answer.It happens in RHEL-4 .
>> > any idea.
>> > Shankar(RHCE)

>> my
>> down

I have the same behavior on a Mandriva 2006.0 installation (Virtual Machine).

Regards
A.Williams
IN THIS WORLD FULL OF DREAMS AND IMAGINATION, LOOK FOR POSSIBILITIES...