Location of relay-hosts file or equivalent in RHEL4 ES?

Scott Ruckh sruckh at gemneye.org
Sun Aug 13 16:50:59 UTC 2006

This is what you said Mike Burger
> On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Ed McCorduck wrote:
>
>> Hello, I'm running Enterprise Linux 4 ES with Sendmail as my SMTP
>> server. I need to configure my Linux box to relay e-mail from another
>> server I manage, i.e. to have my Linux machine be that other server's
>> "smart server." One step is apparently to do as indicated in section
>> 11.3.1.5 on page 165 of the _Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4: Reference
>> Guide_, namely "[t]o configure relay domains, edit the
>> /etc/mail/relay-domains file . . ." However, this file is not in my
>> /etc/mail directory nor anywhere else on my RHEL computer. Any
>> suggestions or alternate procedures would be appreciated.
>
> You would need to create the file, populate it with the appropriate
> information, and make sure that the sendmail.cf file was configured
> appropriately, yourself.

configure your /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file:

define(`SMART_HOST',`server.to-send.mail.to')

I also use the following because my server accepting mail runs on a
non-standard port:

FEATURE(`mailertable')dnl
define(`confRELAY_MAILER', `esmtp')dnl
define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 0000')dnl

(I had to create, and make my mailertable.db file after making sendmail
modification)

makemap hash mailertable.db < mailertable

After editing sendmail.mc run, make -C /etc/mail, and restart the sendmail
service.