RHEL 4 Update Procedure

Matthew B. Brookover mbrookov at mines.edu
Mon Aug 14 14:49:25 UTC 2006

This is a case where no matter what you do, you will be wrong.

If you do not patch, you leave your server exposed to security issues or
you may stumble into a bug that has been fixed.  If you do patch you are
at risk of breaking something.

Best solution is to test the patches on an old server before you apply
them to your production servers.  Even then, I recently ran into a
problem that did not show up until the system was under a high load.  I
could not simulate that load on my test machine.  What was worse, the
solution was to recompile the programs in question.  The programs worked
fine, 9,999 out of 10,000 uses, but 1 out of 10,000 the program would
get caught in an uninterruptable sleep, and a recompile seems to have
fixed it.  Very strange!

Matt