script to turn off services

Wayne Pinette Wpinette at tru.ca
Wed Aug 16 17:42:28 UTC 2006

rather than use service <servicename>  I would use
/etc/init.d/<servicename> status

try /etc/init.d/bluetooth status.  That usually gives you back a string
which tells you if it is running or not.

Then you can call /etc/init.d/bluetooth stop  and chkconfig bluetooth
off

But I  kind of agree with the other guy about not bothering to check
cause turning something off thats already off isn't an evil thing.

Wayner

On 8/16/06, Bill Tangren <bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil> wrote:
> I am trying to write a script that will turn off unneeded services,
but I am not
> having any luck. I have tried the following:
>

> service bluetooth status > /dev/null 2>&1
> EXITVALUE=$?
> if [ $EXITVALUE == 0 ]; then
>     service bluetooth stop
>     chkconfig --level 345 bluetooth off
> fi
>

> This works if bluetooth is not installed, but not if it IS installed
and already
> turned off. In that case, the service command returns zero and the if
block is
> executed.
>
> Does anyone know how to modify this script so that it will run (or
tell me where
> I can learn how to modify it)?

Why do you care what state it is in if you know you want it off?
Doesn't something simple (albeit parts may be unnecessary but
shouldn't cause any harm) like

for u in "list of unneeded services"; do
  service $u stop
  chkconfig $u off
done

work ok?