Display with RHEL 4, Update 2 going to sleep

Margaret Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Wed Aug 16 20:32:05 UTC 2006

I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 with a DELL 1707FP monitor.  The system
is connected through the dvi connector.  Graphics for installation
using "linux textnofb" works.  The registration graphics to RedHat
through up2date works fine.  The analog connection  to a  Mac has no
problems.

xorg.conf recognizes the monitor as a DELL 1707FP with an "ATI
Radeon  X600" board.

When I run "startx", text comes across the screen rapidly, but then
the screen goes black.

When I press on the monitor status button,  the screen says it is in
the energy power saving  mode and to press a key or move a mouse to
wake it up.  Pressing a key or moving the attached mouse does  nothing.

I have turned off  apmd for all initialization levels.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log has warnings  about the TTF and  CID fonts
missing and

(WW)   Open  APM failed (dev/apm_bios)  (Nosuch file or directory)
I found this on another RedHat system of mine.  The file belongs to

dev-3.3.12-1.i386.rpm

When I try to install

rpm -ivh dev-3.3.12-1.i386.rpm
Cannot install the dev package:  mounted  devfs  detected.

Any suggestions.