Upgrade 8 to 9

David Tonhofer d.tonhofer at m-plify.com
Wed Aug 23 18:39:24 UTC 2006

darrel barton wrote:
> I want to upgrade all my systems from 8 (Psyche) to the latest most
> supported version,  but I've had two problems (bugs actually) in Red
> Hat 8 and I'd like to know that they've been CORRECTED in later versions.
>
> The first problem is the launching of applications.   After the system
> is booted and initialized, all the applications from the menus
> (Nautilus and Gnome) run fine.  But at some point later (days later)
> the menu functions simply won't launch -- for example, you can
> navigate TO "Users and Groups" but when you click on it, it won't
> launch.  Nautilus or Gnome, same problem.   Same with network
> settings, etc.  A reboot clears this.    I've never seen documentation
> ON this problem, so I have no idea if it's been fixed.

Never heard of this. But then RH 8.0 is several years back. Why not try
Fedora Core 5?

> The second problem is, in my opinion, a HEINOUS omission or bug in the
> kernel, one that someone should die over:
>
> standard input is closed: Value too large for defined data type
>
> The Linux kernel (at least in 8.0 Psyche) will allow an application
> such as CPIO to CREATE an archive larger than the kernel can READ
> BACK.   No if's and's but's about this one - this is a CRIMINAL error
> on someone's part.   If even ONE person on this planet ever lost data
> because the kernel refused to open a file that the kernel made, then
> Torvalds himself should be made to go there and manually key in all of
> the user's lost data.
> HAS THIS PROBLEM BEEN FIXED?

Kernel? Don't think so. The kernel don't care about your archive file.
It's a hole in the archive file, rather.
Like so:
http://archives.devshed.com/forums/unix-linux-135/rescue-damaged-tar-file-1680796.html

Best regards,

-- David