Permit root login for telnet..

Northrup, Wilson wilson_northrup at merck.com
Fri Aug 25 14:25:06 UTC 2006

I guess I'd reference dsniff right about now.  Physical access makes it
easier, but it is not required.

-----------
http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/dsniff/faq.html#What%20is%20dsniff
1.1. What is dsniff?

dsniff is a collection of tools for network auditing and penetration
testing. dsniff, filesnarf, mailsnarf, msgsnarf, urlsnarf, and webspy
passively monitor a network for interesting data (passwords, e-mail, files,
etc.). arpspoof, dnsspoof, and macof facilitate the interception of network
traffic normally unavailable to an attacker (e.g, due to layer-2 switching).
sshmitm and webmitm implement active monkey-in-the-middle attacks against
redirected SSH and HTTPS sessions by exploiting weak bindings in ad-hoc PKI.

Besides, why use telnet when you can use the other features of ssh,
scp,sftp, x11fowarding, etc? after a while, ssh just seems to be more useful
than telnet for interactive access to a system anyhow.

Actually, I doubt many recommend the ability to ssh directly either. I know
I do not recommend setting systems up this way.  Always come in as a
non-privileged user and then "su".

wilson