Permit root login for telnet..

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Aug 25 14:46:48 UTC 2006

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, Shekhar Dhotre wrote:

> OK , no one has access to network room here than Coms guys . Even I
> cannot go in as I am in Unix/Storages group. Our comm. guys are not
> interested in checking our passwords.
>
> Also they have access to most of the prod switches, so they are trusted
> by the business. Again not a risk .

If you log on to your system from home, your password travels over
networks you don't have control over. And lots of people could see it.

If your point is that 'untrusted' people cannot sniff your password if you
and the server are hooked on 'trusted' switches (and you believe nobody
can get access to either the switches or the servers because of bugs or
human errors), than you may be right. But I would not call that 'remote
access'.

But, ssh is _always_ more secure. Even when you're connected to
the same switch.

And, sometimes you don't even want 'trusted' people to know your password,
since they might be from other teams and have no business knowing your
root-password.

There really is no reason to NOT use SSH. Even if you think you've got
everything covered.

Kind regards,