[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

RE: Commentary on the seven words



I find it interesting that you wrote "parenthetically" inside of parenthesis...

Did you get permission from the Minister of Redundancy Minister for that? 

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces redhat com [mailto:redhat-list-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of darrel barton
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 1:10 PM
To: redhat-list redhat com
Subject: Re: Commentary on the seven words

I'd like to apologize to EVERYONE .... if even one of you thinks that this was intended to be a flame!

This was nothing but COMMENTARY on an attitude that is prevalent among people who hold support knowledge when approached by people who need 
help.   I'm not immune myself -- when one of my end users calls and asks 
how to delete all clients East of the Mississippi, I ALSO take a moment to 
ask what it's about.   I just take a split second to try to remind myself 
that I design the software, I don't dictate who uses it or for what 
purpose.   It was just a commentary about something we all give into once 
in a while and nothing more.

(Parenthetically, if anyone actually thought what I wrote was an actual FLAME .... all I can say is "Man, you need to unplug and get OUT a bit more!  :)"  )





At 09:00 AM 8/28/2006, you wrote:

>Send redhat-list mailing list submissions to
>         redhat-list redhat com
>
>To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         redhat-list-request redhat com
>
>You can reach the person managing the list at
>         redhat-list-owner redhat com
>
>When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific 
>than "Re: Contents of redhat-list digest..."
>
>
>Today's Topics:
>
>    1. partition changing (Anze Vidmar)
>    2. RE: partition changing (Northrup, Wilson)
>    3. RE: Commentary on the seven words (Shekhar Dhotre)
>    4. RE: partition changing (Shekhar Dhotre)
>    5. Wield message on log file (Redhat AS 4)?? (mcclnx mcc)
>    6. bad RAM chip cause DELL 2650 continue crash (mcclnx mcc)
>    7. RE: Wield message on log file (Redhat AS 4)?? (Shekhar Dhotre)
>    8. Re: Wield message on log file (Redhat AS 4)??
>       (Manuel Arostegui Ramirez)
>    9. Re: Wield message on log file (Redhat AS 4)?? (Matt Domsch)
>
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Message: 1
>Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:36:56 +0200
>From: Anze Vidmar <anzevi gmail com>
>Subject: partition changing
>To: redhat-list <redhat-list redhat com>
>Message-ID: <1156768616 4312 21 camel anzi home local>
>Content-Type: text/plain
>
>hello my guru friends :)
>
>On a web hosting server we have silly partitioning like this:
>
>[anze yokohama ~]$ df -h
>Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>/dev/sda1             6.7G  4.4G  2.0G  69% /
>/dev/sda2         150G  1G  149G  1% /home
>/dev/sda4           18G  17G   1G  97% /var
>
>(don't ask, I wasn't designing this :)
>
>So, I would like to swap partition /home with /var, because /var 
>partition (where all the web hosting files are saved) are running out 
>of disk space. The partition system id on both partitions is Linux. In 
>theory this is no problem. But I'm not sure if this is safe to do while 
>in runlevel 3 (the server is in another country and i don't have a 
>chance to go there to boot into single mode for maintaining).
>
>So, the only way would be:
>
>- stop the Internet/database services (at least this can be done) on 
>the server
>- backup /var and /home partitions in *.tar file (to keep permissions)
>- unmount the /var and /home partitions
>- edit the /etc/fstab file to correct mount point
>- mount the new /var partition and extract the backup tar file there
>- mount the /home partition and extract the backup tar file there
>- cross my fingers and hope not to get burned :-/
>
>Of course I would clean the two partitions before restoring backup 
>files on them. Is this method acceptable?
>Thank you,
>
>--
>Anze Vidmar <anzevi gmail com>
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 2
>Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 08:55:59 -0400
>From: "Northrup, Wilson" <wilson_northrup merck com>
>Subject: RE: partition changing
>To: "'General Red Hat Linux discussion list'"
>         <redhat-list redhat com>,       "'redhat-list'" 
> <redhat-list redhat com>
>Message-ID:
>         <DBA68BCB137F86449139FDB06E59113CFC9F91 usctmx1114 merck com>
>Content-Type: text/plain
>
>I guess you could copy the files in /var/www to /home/www, and confirm 
>they are copied correctly.  Once that is done you could delete the 
>files in /var/www and symlink to /home/www right away, or run for a 
>week with the symlink, and then delete the files after that time.
>
>In any case, make a backup and check to ensure it is a good backup 
>before you start.
>
>
>
>
>
>wilson
>
>
>  -----Original Message-----
>From:   Anze Vidmar [mailto:anzevi gmail com]
>Sent:   Monday, August 28, 2006 08:37 AM Eastern Standard Time
>To:     redhat-list
>Subject:        partition changing
>
>hello my guru friends :)
>
>On a web hosting server we have silly partitioning like this:
>
>[anze yokohama ~]$ df -h
>Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>/dev/sda1             6.7G  4.4G  2.0G  69% /
>/dev/sda2         150G  1G  149G  1% /home
>/dev/sda4           18G  17G   1G  97% /var
>
>(don't ask, I wasn't designing this :)
>
>So, I would like to swap partition /home with /var, because /var 
>partition (where all the web hosting files are saved) are running out 
>of disk space. The partition system id on both partitions is Linux. In 
>theory this is no problem. But I'm not sure if this is safe to do while 
>in runlevel 3 (the server is in another country and i don't have a 
>chance to go there to boot into single mode for maintaining).
>
>So, the only way would be:
>
>- stop the Internet/database services (at least this can be done) on 
>the server
>- backup /var and /home partitions in *.tar file (to keep permissions)
>- unmount the /var and /home partitions
>- edit the /etc/fstab file to correct mount point
>- mount the new /var partition and extract the backup tar file there
>- mount the /home partition and extract the backup tar file there
>- cross my fingers and hope not to get burned :-/
>
>Of course I would clean the two partitions before restoring backup 
>files on them. Is this method acceptable?
>Thank you,
>
>--
>Anze Vidmar <anzevi gmail com>
>
>--
>redhat-list mailing list
>unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
>https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
>
>
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>-------
>Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains 
>information of Merck & Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, 
>New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known 
>outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD 
>and in Japan, as Banyu - direct contact information for affiliates is 
>available at http://www.merck.com/contact/contacts.html) that may be 
>confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is 
>intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this 
>message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this 
>message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then 
>delete it from your system.
>
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>-------
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 3
>Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:37:43 -0400
>From: "Shekhar Dhotre" <sdhotre Cedardoc com>
>Subject: RE: Commentary on the seven words
>To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list redhat com>
>Message-ID:
>         <728BB500F390334196448BD09D34254E0A3F37 atl0-exchdb01 cedardoc com>
>Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> >>guy who started the flame :-)
>
>   I think I made this list  alive :-)
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: redhat-list-bounces redhat com
>[mailto:redhat-list-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of Manuel Arostegui 
>Ramirez
>Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2006 5:21 AM
>To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
>Subject: Re: Commentary on the seven words
>
>El Viernes, 25 de Agosto de 2006 20:10, darrel barton escribió:
>
> >
> > So when a guy writes to ask about how to enable root login from 
> > telnet, can't someone just say "I hope you know that's not as secure 
> > as ssh -- but here's how you enable that ...... ?
>
>That's exactly what I did. Look at this:
>https://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-list/2006-August/msg00216.html
>
>
>If you read whole thread you'll see that the one who asked about how to 
>enable root login via telnet is not the same guy who started the flame 
>:-)
>
>Greetings
>--
>Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.
>
>Electronic Mail is not secure, may not be read every day, and should 
>not be used for urgent or sensitive issues.
>
>--
>redhat-list mailing list
>unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
>https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 4
>Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:40:34 -0400
>From: "Shekhar Dhotre" <sdhotre Cedardoc com>
>Subject: RE: partition changing
>To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list redhat com>
>Message-ID:
>         <728BB500F390334196448BD09D34254E0A3F3A atl0-exchdb01 cedardoc com>
>Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="us-ascii"
>
> >>Is this method acceptable?
>
>    Test the restore of tar backups or any other backups ,before you 
>clean out the partitions. I have successfully completed 4 DR test,and 
>my experience tells me always test your backups by restoring to test 
>machines .
>(2 sets of backups)
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: redhat-list-bounces redhat com
>[mailto:redhat-list-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of Anze Vidmar
>Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 8:37 AM
>To: redhat-list
>Subject: partition changing
>
>hello my guru friends :)
>
>On a web hosting server we have silly partitioning like this:
>
>[anze yokohama ~]$ df -h
>Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>/dev/sda1             6.7G  4.4G  2.0G  69% /
>/dev/sda2         150G  1G  149G  1% /home
>/dev/sda4           18G  17G   1G  97% /var
>
>(don't ask, I wasn't designing this :)
>
>So, I would like to swap partition /home with /var, because /var 
>partition (where all the web hosting files are saved) are running out 
>of disk space. The partition system id on both partitions is Linux. In 
>theory this is no problem. But I'm not sure if this is safe to do while 
>in runlevel 3 (the server is in another country and i don't have a 
>chance to go there to boot into single mode for maintaining).
>
>So, the only way would be:
>
>- stop the Internet/database services (at least this can be done) on 
>the server
>- backup /var and /home partitions in *.tar file (to keep permissions)
>- unmount the /var and /home partitions
>- edit the /etc/fstab file to correct mount point
>- mount the new /var partition and extract the backup tar file there
>- mount the /home partition and extract the backup tar file there
>- cross my fingers and hope not to get burned :-/
>
>Of course I would clean the two partitions before restoring backup 
>files on them. Is this method acceptable?
>Thank you,
>
>--
>Anze Vidmar <anzevi gmail com>
>
>--
>redhat-list mailing list
>unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
>https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 5
>Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:47:06 +0800 (CST)
>From: mcclnx mcc <mcclnx yahoo com tw>
>Subject: Wield message on log file (Redhat AS 4)??
>To: nahant-list redhat com, as <redhat-list redhat com>,
>         linux-poweredge dell com
>Message-ID: <20060828134706 18988 qmail web18615 mail tpe yahoo com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=big5
>
>We have Redhat AS4.3 on DELL 6800 server.  I checked /var/log/messages 
>anf found message:
>
>    Aug 28 04:03:42 ORA01 init: Trying to re-exec init
>
>Any one what is this mean?
>
>___________________________________________________
>  ³Ì·sª© Yahoo!©_¼¯§Y®É³q°T 7.0¡A§K¶Oºô¸ô¹q¸Ü¥ô§A¥´¡I
>  http://messenger.yahoo.com.tw/
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 6
>Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:51:31 +0800 (CST)
>From: mcclnx mcc <mcclnx yahoo com tw>
>Subject: bad RAM chip cause DELL 2650 continue crash
>To: linux-poweredge dell com, as <redhat-list redhat com>
>Message-ID: <20060828135131 99032 qmail web18606 mail tpe yahoo com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=big5
>
>We have DELL 2650 server with Redhat AS 3.4 installed on it.  Recently 
>I found following messages on log file and server continue crash .
>
>Aug 26 10:10:49 ORA1 kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received.
>Dazed and confused, but trying to continue Aug 26 10:10:49 ORA1 kernel: 
>You probably have a hardware problem with your RAM chips
>
>I replace all RAM on DELL 2650, but it still continue happen.
>
>Anyone know what wrong it is?
>
>Thanks.
>
>___________________________________________________
>  ³Ì·sª© Yahoo!©_¼¯§Y®É³q°T 7.0¡A§K¶Oºô¸ô¹q¸Ü¥ô§A¥´¡I
>  http://messenger.yahoo.com.tw/
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 7
>Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:52:06 -0400
>From: "Shekhar Dhotre" <sdhotre Cedardoc com>
>Subject: RE: Wield message on log file (Redhat AS 4)??
>To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list redhat com>,
>         <nahant-list redhat com>, <linux-poweredge dell com>
>Message-ID:
>         <728BB500F390334196448BD09D34254E0A3F3D atl0-exchdb01 cedardoc com>
>Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="gb2312"
>
>Sounds as if someone/something (cron.daily -> prelink?) with root 
>permissions simply issued 'init u'.
>
>Hint:
>man init
>
>
>It`s cut and paste!
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: redhat-list-bounces redhat com
>[mailto:redhat-list-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of mcclnx mcc
>Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 9:47 AM
>To: nahant-list redhat com; as; linux-poweredge dell com
>Subject: Wield message on log file (Redhat AS 4)??
>
>We have Redhat AS4.3 on DELL 6800 server.  I checked /var/log/messages 
>anf found message:
>
>    Aug 28 04:03:42 ORA01 init: Trying to re-exec init
>
>Any one what is this mean?
>
>___________________________________________________
>  ×îаæ Yahoo!ÆæĦ¼´•rͨӍ 7.0£¬ÃâÙM¾W·ëŠÔ’ÈÎÄã´ò£¡
>  http://messenger.yahoo.com.tw/
>
>--
>redhat-list mailing list
>unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
>https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 8
>Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:05:23 +0200
>From: Manuel Arostegui Ramirez <manuel todo-linux com>
>Subject: Re: Wield message on log file (Redhat AS 4)??
>To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list redhat com>
>Message-ID: <200608281605 23605 manuel todo-linux com>
>Content-Type: text/plain;  charset="iso-8859-1"
>
>El Lunes, 28 de Agosto de 2006 15:47, mcclnx mcc escribió:
> > We have Redhat AS4.3 on DELL 6800 server.  I checked 
> > /var/log/messages anf found message:
> >
> >    Aug 28 04:03:42 ORA01 init: Trying to re-exec init
> >
> > Any one what is this mean?
> >
>
>It's due to cron.daily and prelink.
>Try to disable prelinking
>
>Hope that helps
>
>--
>Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.
>
>Electronic Mail is not secure, may not be read every day, and should 
>not be used for urgent or sensitive issues.
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 9
>Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:05:43 -0500
>From: Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch dell com>
>Subject: Re: Wield message on log file (Redhat AS 4)??
>To: mcclnx mcc <mcclnx yahoo com tw>
>Cc: nahant-list redhat com, as <redhat-list redhat com>,
>         linux-poweredge dell com
>Message-ID: <20060828140542 GD15032 lists us dell com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 09:47:06PM +0800, mcclnx mcc wrote:
> > We have Redhat AS4.3 on DELL 6800 server.  I checked 
> > /var/log/messages anf found message:
> >
> >    Aug 28 04:03:42 ORA01 init: Trying to re-exec init
> >
> > Any one what is this mean?
>
>Generally that you ran up2date and it updated glibc.
>
>--
>Matt Domsch
>Software Architect
>Dell Linux Solutions linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux Linux on Dell 
>mailing lists @ http://lists.us.dell.com
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>__
>redhat-list mailing list
>Unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
>https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
>End of redhat-list Digest, Vol 30, Issue 29
>*******************************************
>
>
>
>--
>No virus found in this incoming message.
>Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.11.6/428 - Release Date: 
>8/25/2006


--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.11.6/428 - Release Date: 8/25/2006



-- 
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list



[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]