samba / UNIX password sync

A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru
Wed Aug 30 17:08:30 UTC 2006

The best way to resolve your problem is to use the some external
authentication database (such as Windows domain controller) for both the
SAMBA logins and usual logins (instead of /etc/passwd) as recommended in
previous replies.

However, if you prefer use both /etc/passwd and smbpasswd on your
computer without use of domain controller/nss and need to keep them in
sync, I think that you should add a call to pam_pwdb in 'password'
section of samba PAM configuration file, so both pam_pwdb and
pam_smbpass will be called when the password is changed. So, your SAMBA
PAM configuration will end with something similar to (the option
'use_authtok' is used to get a password from previous PAM module, i.e.
pam_pwdb):

password   requisite    /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow md5
password   required     /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so use_authtok nodelay
smbconf=/etc/samba/smb.conf

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux
http://www.brainbench.com