is NFS secure ?

Vladimir Zlatkin vzlatkin at redhat.com
Thu Aug 31 16:26:13 UTC 2006

Certainly a vague question.  I think of it from the perspective of how
hard is it for me to see someone else's nfs data.  The answer is: very easy.

Take a common scenario where many users mount their home directory via
nfs, and you use root_squash.  To gain access to a user's data all you
need is root on a machine that can mount any home directory.  Then just
su - [username] and you'll have access.  Some magic required, but that
is pretty insecure.

I've never tried nfs over ssh, but I know you can restrict the different
nfs components to use a specific port instead of portmap. Therefore, it
should be possible to do nfs over ssh.

-Vlady