ftp from Red Hat AS 4.4 to Open VMS System

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Tue Dec 12 10:01:35 UTC 2006

Troy Knabe wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who responded.  When you do an ls or dir on a remote
> host, it creates a "new" connection back to the server, so it is not
> persistent.  It appears to be grabbing a random port in the 53*** area.
>
> Is there syntax in iptables to allow all ports from a host over port 1024?
>
> I also had to issue the *passive* command once connected before I could
> run an ls or dir.

If you want to have iptables firewalling between these two systems you could try
the ftp_conntrack module. It is designed to handle this issue. It examines
traffic on the standard FTP port which requests a DATA connection, and pokes
dynamic holes in the iptables configuration to allow the data through.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555