2.6.18 kernel and vga=xxx option

Hi,

I was playing with RHEL 5 betas, and noticed that passing vga=7xx (for example vga=771 or vga=795 or whatever) results in unusable console. I just get the balck screen. This used to work OK on older versins of kernels (for example 2.6.9 from RHEL 4) on exactly the same hardware.

Just wondering if anybody else experienced it? Is it present in FC6 kernel too (seems to be the same or very similar to RHEL5 beta 2 kernel)? I got same problem with real hardware (Intel's motherboard) and under VmWare ESX, so I guess it is not the hardware that is problematic. Filed bug report (bug #206079), but no reaction so far...

Thanks,
Alex