Physical Disk Size

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Fri Dec 1 19:52:39 UTC 2006

Quoting Kevin K <k_krieser at sbcglobal.net>:

> Which option for df will give you the physical size of the hard drive?
> man df and df --help didn't give me any insight.

As already said in this thread.  Use utilities such as fdisk.  Or
check what kernel reported during boot (in /var/log/messages).  Or see
the content of /proc/ide/hd*/capacity (for IDE drives).

"df" shows information about file systems.  Not partitions.  Not
disks.  It doesn't know anything about the hardware on which file
system resides (which in general doesn't need to be disk based, and
can be virtual or abstracted by several levels of whatever).