Re: Physical Disk Size

On Dec 1, 2006, at 1:52 PM, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

Quoting Kevin K <k_krieser sbcglobal net>:

Which option for df will give you the physical size of the hard drive?
man df and df --help didn't give me any insight.

As already said in this thread. Use utilities such as fdisk. Or check what kernel reported during boot (in /var/log/messages). Or see the content of /proc/ide/hd*/capacity (for IDE drives).

"df" shows information about file systems. Not partitions. Not disks. It doesn't know anything about the hardware on which file system resides (which in general doesn't need to be disk based, and can be virtual or abstracted by several levels of whatever).

It had been stated by 2 different people that df would return this information, the second one after it had been shown wrong. I was hoping that the people making this claim would make an attempt to explain that they had misread the original question.