Can't activate eth0 network connection

McDougall, Marshall (FSH) MarMcDouga at gov.mb.ca
Mon Dec 4 17:58:41 UTC 2006

What else does ifconfig tell you/us? (ip, mask, etc)
Do you have SELinux enabled?  If yes, disable it and test again.
Have you turned off your firewall. Same deal as SEL.
Have you tried "service network start/restart"
Have you set your speed/duplex to match that of the port on the switch?
Can you ping 127.0.0.1?

These are all the first things I look at when faced with network issues.
HTH.

Regards, Marshall