Scripting /etc/fstab changes

Danda, Richard SFC richard.danda at us.army.mil
Tue Dec 5 21:42:24 UTC 2006

Greetings all,

I have a NetApp FAS270 filer that I have migrated NFS data directories too.
I need to make changes to all my RHEL machines to point to the new device
for mounts. Is there an easy way to script the change?

Example:

Current /etc/fstab

hostA:/user/bin  /user/bin  nfs  defaults 0 0
hostA:/user/lib   /user/lib	  nfs defaults 0 0
hostA:/home/common/storage   /home/common/storage  nfs  defaults 0 0

Need to change it to this:

hostB:/user/bin  /user/bin  nfs  defaults 0 0
hostB:/user/lib   /user/lib	  nfs defaults 0 0
hostB:/home/common/storage   /home/common/storage  nfs  defaults 0 0

I believe you can use sed or awk, to do that????

Thanks for any assistance.

V/R

Richard J. Danda II
SFC, USA
BLCSE Network Manager/IASO
Maneuver Support Battle Lab
Fort Leonard Wood, MO

We trained very hard -- but it seemed that every time we were beginning to
form up into teams, we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life we
tend to meet new situations by reorganizing, and a wonderful method it can
be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion,
inefficiency, and demoralization.   Petronius Arbiter, 66 A.D.