Getting German special characters(Ex: Ü) printed on the terminal

Padiyath Sreekumaran kumar.padiyath at psi.ch
Thu Dec 7 14:40:35 UTC 2006

  Hello,
  Iam running Redhat SL 3.0 on my Desktop machine. I use KDE.
  How can I get Greman special characters printed correctly on
  the screen.? I donot see the in KDE window "Settings" menu
  the "Encoding" submenu. If I had this submenu then it is easier
  to select the correct character type.(iso-8859-1). How can
  I install the "Encoding" part of the SW? Is it possible
  to define the character type from Unix commands? I tried the following
  without success:

  export LC_CTYPE=iso_8859_1

  I will appreciate very much your help.

  Regards,
  Kumar

Padiyath Sreekumar       |   Tel: +41.56.310.3643
Paul Scherrer Institut   |   email: kumar.padiyath at psi.ch
AIT                      |   Office: WHGA/U132
WHGA/U132                |   Fax: +41.56.310.3649
CH-5232 Villigen PSI     |
Switzerland              |