<RHEL: SNTP Client>

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Thu Dec 7 20:00:35 UTC 2006

Quoting Crouching Tiger <crouchingtiger33 at gmail.com>:

> I've been looking for information regarding SNTP support in Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 4 AS, however the result is inconclusive.
>
> Today, SNTP is the most common use of the NTP infrastructure. Also, SNTP is
> a small subset of the overall NTP functionality, so it has many unique
> client implementations.
>
> I have found information regarding NTP support. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
> AS implements version 4 of the Network Time Protocol (NTP).
>
> Could you please let me know if there is a SNTP client presently in the Red
> Hat Enterprise Linux 4 AS?

Hmmm...  As far as I know, there is no dedicated SNTP client.  Anyhow,
what's wrong with configuring ntpd to be just a client?  The
configuration file is couple of lines (very simple).  Or you could
just fire off system-config-time and let it create configuration file
for you (I'd suggest enabling "use local time source" under advanced
options).

I simply fail to see any advantage of running SNTP vs. full NTP
implementation.