Re: <RHEL: SNTP Client>

Quoting Crouching Tiger <crouchingtiger33 gmail com>:

I've been looking for information regarding SNTP support in Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 4 AS, however the result is inconclusive.

Today, SNTP is the most common use of the NTP infrastructure. Also, SNTP is
a small subset of the overall NTP functionality, so it has many unique
client implementations.

I have found information regarding NTP support. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
AS implements version 4 of the Network Time Protocol (NTP).

Could you please let me know if there is a SNTP client presently in the Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 4 AS?

Hmmm... As far as I know, there is no dedicated SNTP client. Anyhow, what's wrong with configuring ntpd to be just a client? The configuration file is couple of lines (very simple). Or you could just fire off system-config-time and let it create configuration file for you (I'd suggest enabling "use local time source" under advanced options).

I simply fail to see any advantage of running SNTP vs. full NTP implementation.